Marco’s Slow-Cooked Chicken Dinner
Grain & gluten free chicken recipe
Nutrient-rich chicken thigh is the main protein source for this dish. Much vaunted by today’s chefs for its rich flavour, chicken thigh packs a real punch in the nutrient department!
If you’re still feeding your dog commercial dog food, we would suggest using this meal as a dressing or topping by combining the two over the course of three or four days. Reduce your dog’s other food accordingly so as to avoid unhealthy weight gain.
This healthy and tasty meal would be just as nourishing for you and your family as for your dog. We tried it and it tasted delicious. Just add some extra vegetables and it’s good to go for you and your family. It doesn’t even need any extra seasoning thanks to our specially formulated Poultry Herb Blend. Just add the Eggshell Powder, safflower oil and salmon oil before serving or apportioning your dog’s food.
- 1500g (3lb 5oz) Chicken Thigh diced
- 75g (2 ½oz) Chicken Liver diced
- 262g (9 ¼oz) Sweet Potatoes skin on, finely diced
- 260g (9 ¼oz) Turnip skin on, finely diced
- 130g (4 ½oz) Carrots skin on, finely diced
- 130g (4 ½oz) Parsnips skin on, finely diced
- 134g (4 ¾oz) Tomatoes finely chopped
- 134g (4 ¾oz) Apple skin on, finely diced
- 2g (large pinch) Himalayan Rose Pink Salt
- 12g (3 heaped tablespoons) Poultry Herb Blend
- 20g (4 level teaspoons) Eggshell Powder
- 70ml (4 tablespoons) Safflower Oil
- 70ml (4 tablespoons) Salmon Oil
Add the meat together with the Poultry Herb Blend and the salt to a slow cooker with the water. Cook for 1 hour before adding the vegetables. If necessary, wash and then dice the vegetables. Most of the goodness in fruit and vegetables tends to be close to the surface so don’t peel and throw away the best bits! Add the vegetables to the slow cooker, stir in with the meat and cook for a further 2 hours. Turn off the slow cooker, remove the bowl from the heat, add the Eggshell Powder, salmon oil and safflower oil and blend all the ingredients together. Allow to cool before apportioning and/or serving. Either freeze what you don’t immediately need or keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
More about making homemade dog food.
Principles of canine nutrition.
Read our transitioning guide.
Herb Blends for Dogs
When making homemade dog food for your dog, no recipe is complete without adding one of our unique blends of 100% natural essential vitamins & minerals.
Sign up for our weekly pupdates and make your best friend a happier and healthier dog with homemade dog food.